Saturday, June 25, 2011

my life as a super hero

While on a trip to Thailand I happened to pass by a shop called the DC Store. Dedicated to the more popular icons of that universe, it sold your usual shirts, jackets, caps, what-have-you's. While not a comic book fan, I know enough about pop culture to appreciate the wares. Besides, I've had enough exposure to certain influences *cough*electroshadow*cough* to amp up my geek-credentials.

I was pretty determined to buy a shirt from the store, but was just as determined that it be non-tacky. I had to practically go through each row and each piece of shirt on display before I found one I liked: a black baby tee with the classic Superman logo in front. I will admit now that I did not immediately know it was the classic logo. In fact, I didn't even know there were different logo versions. But my boss, a Superman fan, saw me wear the shirt once and commented on it. I now store that knowledge in the back of my head to sound impressive when conversing with the comic/superhero/fantasy/superman fans. You never know when you'll run into them. The shirt was a the last available piece, wedged in between all the Supergirl shirts, which, sorry, I really wasn't interested in.

Then, for good measure, I threw in another baby tee, this time of Wonder Woman. Just to... you know... show I'm a girl.

Anyway, a few weeks ago while on holiday, I walked into a shopping mall that had an activity dedicated to the DC Comics/DC Store as well as a promotional gig for Green Lantern. Funnily enough, I was wearing my superhero shirt that day. And I had my camera.

You can just imagine what happened next....

  
 

I always had a crush on the Green Lantern I knew from my childhood cartoons. To me, he was the most elegant of the superheroes. There was something about him that was just so dashing and dapper. While Superman was strong and honourable, Batman was mysterious and withdrawn, Green Lantern struck me as graceful and refined. But that may also be because my favorite color is green.

Wonder Twin Powers.. activate!

Apart from the Green Lantern images, the activity carried a wide assortment of clothing and other merchandise up for sale. Seeing as I was dangerously close to being overweight with my luggage, I contented myself to just window shopping. What caught my eye though was the row of glass display cases exhibiting some collectibles and figures of different DC Comic heroes in varying shapes and sizes. Unfortunately, they weren't for sale. I was a little too drawn to the color green I think because these were the only pictures of the collectibles that I took:



Obviously, the whole marketing blitz of the Green Lantern movie was rubbing off on me. But even though he was the star of the moment, Green Lantern wasn't the only superhero there.

just hanging around with my buds...

And then there was the ultimate poster where I absolutely had to have my picture taken. After all, I was wearing the shirt.
lamang lang nya sa akin muscles and boobs. ha ha.

I actually seem to have this habit of running into Wonder Woman when I wear her shirt. A while back in Singapore, the same thing happened:

Actually, that's what I look like pag nilunon ko na yung bato. (-_^)

Meanwhile, back at my holiday...

When I was finally done getting my pics taken with the different heroes, my friend and I went to see X-Men First Class. I mean, how else could we have capped that day, right?
Share: 

2 comments:

  1. That GL looks nothing like Ryan Reynolds. And that model's Wonder Woman costume is all wrong. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caesar: you sure know your superheroes. :) Oh well, we can't expect mere mortals to get the details right, can we?

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beep. *beeeep* :)