Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Take a bite, it's alright

Introducing: (Fa)KAGAT
   ...or (Pha)KAGAT...or KAGAT...or Diner's Club...or... ay basta...

We are a group of friends gathered in love for food. Well, to be honest, I'm more in love with the company than I am with finding the food. The food just happens to be a happy by-product of hanging out these guys.

missing the two who went off to check out bread

I've been lucky to have experienced breaking bread with most of these people on previous occassions. But I have never gone out with them in a group this big. Most of the time our gatherings were a small-ish group of 3 or 5 or 8. A few nights ago, we were a whopping dozen.

This is not the inaugural gathering of (Fa)KAGAT. I kind of missed that one. Then again, a lot of us missed it. The original (Fa)KAGAT movers were still feeling a little clique-ish when they started hahahaha... But they have since learned from their mistake and now know that good food is only as good as the company you keep.

Which is why they need me... um.. us. ;)

The task of organizing the Feb gathering fell to Joe, who seemed to be the most experienced at food gatherings anyway. His recommendation was a quant little Kapampangan cuisine place on the fringes of the Makati Business District, Villa Cafe. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a picture of the frontage, but it wasn't all that hard to spot. Just look for the big yellow(?) sign that said, "VILLA".

Because I'm so bad with directions, and terrified of parking, I made sure I got there early. It paid off because I was the first to arrive and got to park right smack in front of the establishment. Joe was right behind me and we kicked off this food fest with the complimentary starter bread and dip. Errr... I don't remember what the dip was (I think it was tinapa or something) but I do know that I was hungry and it was good. :)

early birds

bread and dip

We had a bit of time to kill since we were a full 30 minutes early so the staff was kind enough to show me the second floor even though it was closed. It serves both as an extension of the dining area and a potential function room for more private parties. I believe it can comfortably hold around 12 people to a maximum of maybe 20. They even have a second kitchen up there, for the exclusive use of the reserving group. I found that cool.

the second floor

Meanwhile, the kitchen downstairs was an open kitchen so you could see what your food is going through. Not that I looked, really. I was too busy socializing. 

kitchen confidential

pots and pans and things

The restaurant was quite simple in terms of ambience and decor. It felt too simple to be fine dining, yet a tad more elegant than casual fare. But I will say that the place had a nice comfortable feel to it. It's a place that encourages good conversations while eating. Which probably explains all the laughter at our table. It's rare that a table of 12 can carry on with just a single topic of discussion. Most times you'd have about 2 or 3 going on at the same time. But by and large, what was said on one end of the table was heard by the other. Or maybe that was just because we talked loud. Either way, I had a great time. Being at Villa kind of felt like being at home, except with fancier cutlery. Seeing as the place was decorated with personal pictures and knick knacks, I think that may have been what they were going for.

the cozy setting

the way up

the menu with built-in scribbles

Because we were a big group, we had to pre-order our meal. Thank you Joe for handling that as well.

dinner is served

My favorite was actually the Kampangan pizza. I love thin crust pizzas and this was just wonderful. It was thin and crunchy, but also soft to bite at the same time. I shamelessly took two slices for myself. Hahahaha...

longganisa on a pizza!

The lengua was my second favorite. Something about sausages in a dish that automatically make it better for me. I'm a little kid that way. :D

Pastel de Lengua

I'm a bit of a bangus snob so the relleno was just so so. To me, bangus is best served grilled, with a side dip of bagoong, calamansi and crushed sili. Nothing quite compares to that. It's my ultimate comfort food.

Villa's Rellenung Bangus

And what is a Filipino gathering without good ol' crispy pata? Except this was with a twist, being cooked with just the hint of kare kare sauce. It was delicious, a blend of the best things about two different dishes in one.

with or without the kare kare sauce, it's pretty good

Then we come to dessert. Hopelessly full yet needing to eat more we shared one slice each of two different cakes. Yes, we made a good-for-one cake slice last for at 12 people. We did that by taking really teeny, tiny bites. Hahahaha...

Dulce de Tsokulati

lechemon - ang mamon na may lecheflan. yuuumm.

Long after the last morsel of food was put away, long after we forget the taste of the food we had, we'll always have the memory of laughter and fun shared with friends. Which is really what matters most anyway.

ang saya. :)

Since I can't remember what (Fa)KAGAT actually stands for, I think I shall just refer to this group as "Chicken". ;) (you had to have been there...)


Villa Cafe is located at 7427 B Glory Building, Yakal St. San Antonio Village. Tel No. (632)4782659, http://www.villacafe.biz/. We ordered about 2-3 servigs of the main dish and spent approximately Php600 per person. The camaraderie: priceless.
Share: 

3 comments:

  1. Dude is wearing a McLovin t-shirt. Nice. I have one of those meself, except mine's the license plate version.

    Food looks yummy btw, esp the pata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, we had TWO slices of the Lechemon and one slice of the chocolate cake. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caesar! I had no idea what the shirt he was wearing was. But I know you're an expert on shirts, so if you say it's cool, i bet it is. :) And yes, the pata was yummy. :)

    Hi Wenk! We had two? Hmmm... maybe the one never got to me... ;)

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beep. *beeeep* :)