Monday, October 17, 2011

Laugh it up!

I consider myself a creature of habit. I like the comfort of the routine and the intimacy that consistency can bring.

But on the night of Sept 30, Friday, I desperately needed to do something different. Having lost my regular Friday habit (see here for why... hahaha...just kidding. I'm not that bitter. Anymore. :P) I dragged a friend with me in my search of something new to do.

On the menu board that weekend: a staging of 3 plays by a celebrted Filipino playwright, a stand up comedy show or a production of Ibong Adarna.

We opted for the stand up comedy show. Hey... it was a tough week.

I never considered stand up comedy as a popular form of entertainment in this country. When I think of Philippine comedy, I think slapstick: loud, can be somewhat vulgar, and involves as many facial contortions as possible. When I think of Philippine stand up comedy, I think of fast-talking gay (like the lifestyle, not the emotion) acts that normally involve some form of audience participation (mostly when they choose to pick on you).

Imagine my pleasant surprise when Comedy Cartel turned out to be none of the above.

the management

It describes itself as the First Philippine Point of View Comedy Group in the Philippines. Essentially, that means they stray away from the usual schtick and bring on the laughs with witty monologues based on their observiations and insights on Filipino culture. Think Jay Leno/David Letterman except without the suits.

Personally, I love this kind of comedy. I get a certain smug satisfaction in knowing I got a joke that was told only in words. :P It's even more satisfying when you can relate to topics that are so uniquely Pinoy that you feel that your identity has been validated.

The show was headlined by 5 comedians, each with about a 20-minute routine (please don't take my word for it. I was too busy laughing to really mind the time). With their individual styles and persona, they covered different topics during each round. From childhood monsters, crazy bosses, the single life and rock & roll. But my hands-down favorite for the night were the punchlines revolving around the realities of communiting around the Metro. If you've ever taken the jeep, fx, mrt or taxi to get around Metro Manila then these jokes were for you.

We weren't a big crowd that night, but we were certainly appreciative. And even though some of the material fell flat, I thought they were all wonderfully amusing. I have an incredible respect for what these comedians do. Because the ironic truth is that it's not easy being funny. It's even harder to find the funny in the everyday things that we do.

I was disappointed when the show ended. It felt way too short. In a way, I think the performers were disappointed when it ended too. You could tell they were having a good time. It was almost like when you get together with friends over dinner at ang sarap ng kwentuhan. No one wants to go home.

As I left the venue I was already thinking about who I would invite the next time I went to see their act. Ikaw, sama ka? :)


the stars(l-r): Richie Fernandez, Ryan Sarita, GB Labrador, Alex Calleja

Before heading out to see the show, my friend and I grabbed an unhealthy yet satisfying dinner at Cerchio, which, to be honest, neither one of us knew how to pronounce.

sige nga.. i-pronounce mo

With it's black and white decor, the place had a nice sophisticated feel to it that made me run to the bathroom to put on make up. Mascara included. Hahaha...

the second floor

where we were seated

the lighting fixture above the staircase

after the re-touch. hahahaha...

The cuisine was Filipino food which is always comforting when you're hungry and had a long day/week. Deep-fried meat with rice. Who could ask for more?

Pinoy favorite: liempo

our fish dish.. which was deep fried anyway

Share: 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ceasar!

    I'm not sure if Russell Peters would have any material on Pinoys... I don't think we're in his radar. It would be funny to see him try tho. He's a pretty funny guy.

    Thanks for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard a lot of good reviews about comedy cartel tooüand and place looks goodü

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous!

    You should check out Comedy Cartel once. I highly recommend it. While you're at it, may as well eat in Cerchio too. Which I still don't know how to pronounce. :P

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beep. *beeeep* :)