Sunday, November 20, 2011

The food of Frazzled Cook

My food posts are always late. Goes to show you that although I enjoy eating, I am not a foodie. Either that or I'm just really tamad. Anyway, this particular visit happened months ago. As in months ago. But, late though it may be, here it is.

---
After the great success of Marcia Adams, which was followed by a smaller, purpose-driven ocular in Tagaytay that led to Breakfast at Antonio's, I once more coerced Joe into joining me on another food adventure. Although he really got the raw end of the deal because I made him take responsibility on where we would go. Again. *cue evil laugh*

That night the trip led us along the twists and turns of the side streets of Mandaluyong where, hidden like a true treasure, was the cuisine of (a) Frazzled Cook.

the sign

I'm not sure why a restaurant would name itself like that. It conjures up images of a kitchen in disarray and harried attempts to feed hungry mouths. Not very appetizing. But name aside, The Frazzled Cook wasn't frazzled at all. In fact, when you step inside, you instantly feel a relaxed, homey welcome. The interiors takes off from that same design philosophy you see in so many restaurants now: the coordinated mismatch (not the official term, I made that up. hahaha), where furnitures don't match but seem to still artistically blend together. Personally, I find this kind of decorating very hard to do since it's way too easy to turn the place into a holy mess. Thankfully, the execution here was quite tasteful.

an actual dining area (the owners had dinner there that night)

the main dining area

We were seated by the corner of the restaurant which also happened to house the most ridiculously large collection of fortune cats I'd ever seen! Shelf upon shelf of golden, waving cats. Hahahaha.. It was quite a site to behold. Especially because a great majority of them were actually in motion! Not quite in unison, but definitely enough for you to notice. And to make you laugh.

meow to the nth power

if I wave my arm, will I be lucky too?

Joe had the foresight of calling the restaurant ahead to pre-order one of their best-seller pizzas, the Pizza Caprese, to minimize our waiting time, as well as to serve as an appetizer. Forgive my poor memory, but I think it came with a side of garlic chili oil which you would drizzle on the pizza for added flavor. But either way, I remember the pizza being delicious. I will  have to say that it was my favorite for the night.

lovely thin, crunchy crust with delicious cheese

the cute little pitcher contained the garlic chili oil

For the main dish I decided to splurge and went for the rack of lamb. I was a little disappointed though that it turned out a bit tough and was difficult to slice off the bone. I can be very thorough when I eat, leaving a very clean bone behind. But I couldn't do that with this one and I found that very frustrating. The meat was tasty though, but I didn't quite enjoy the eating experience as I would have wanted to. When I come back, I'm likely going to try something else off their menu. Just for variety.

rack of lamb with cottage potatoes and mint & herb reduction
(nadadala ako sa ganda ng title. hahaha!)

A really cute touch I found was their cutlery. It had Hello Kitty on it! Hahahaha.. I'm honestly not a Hello Kitty fan, but it was cute to suddenly discover your spoon had a design etched on it. You could hardly tell, unless the spoon is hit by the light properly. But when we discovered it Joe and I spent quite a bit of time trying to capture the image with our cameras. Thank goodness for macro focus.
can you see the kitty?

kitty up close

After dinner I decided to walk around the restaurant and try to capture some of the more interesting knick knacks that constituted their decor. Since the place was quite full I couldn't really get to some of the better spots and had to make do with where I could reach, without annoying some innocent patron.

they've got whoozits and whatzits galore

you want, thingamabobs? they've got plenty

postcards and things

Then, as with all things and all places, we took pictures of ourselves. :)

Yo! Joe!

people who like to eat

picture permutation #1

picture permutation #2

I suppose dessert at Frazzled Cook would have been great too, but we wanted to live up to being food trippers that night. So, on our way home, we detoured off into Bicutan stop at The Cake Planet and Cafe. I don't remember what I ate, but this is what the cakes looked like:


I took so long taking this picture Francis got mad at me na

A perfectly delicious, tho imperfect cake

enjoying the cake

 And guess who followed us to dessert!!!

the cat waves again!

All eating done on location at The Frazzled Cook, 916 Luna Mencias St., Bgy Addition Hills, Mandaluyong City. Tel No. (632)7825980 or (632) 7253354,  http://www.thefrazzledcook.com/ and The Cake Planet and Cafe at #91 Don Soledad Ave., Better Living Subd., Paranaque. Tel No. (632) 6212857. You can find The Cake Planet on Facebook.
Share: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

leave a message after the beep. *beeeep* :)